I will be going to Sierra Leone in January 2012 as a VSO volunteer in the Princess Christian Maternity Hospital in Freetown. I will be working as an obstetrician and helping to train new doctors and midwives. Resources are short and the birth rate is high . . . it's going to be a challenging year.



Friday 18 November 2011

Filling every minute!

I've had a pretty busy 3 weeks at work in Forth Park, doing my on-call block of nights, long days and weekends. Finished the last shift this morning feeling exhausted but relieved that I now have a bit of breathing space to carry on getting things sorted out for heading to Freetown in January.
I am relieved that I am getting contacts over in Sierra Leone, who can give me good advice on what to expect and what to bring.
I am also really touched by the support from a whole range of people back home in lots of different areas, from fundraising to practical help for moving house or getting my equipment sorted.
Forth Park is closing in January and moving to a new site together with the main medical unit in Kirkcaldy. Ironically, the closing day there is probably going to fall on my last week of work before leaving with VSO, so I am definitely wanting to attend the big leaving party and say goodbye to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment